Montana things to do and activities for Kids
The Flathead Valley offers all sorts of recreational opportunities for your whole family. You and your children or grandchildren can choose from a varied menu of fun activities you can all enjoy together.
Here are few ideas to get you started:
- Hike and explore nature and wildlife in Glacier National Park or any of the Flathead Valley's county and city parks.
- Pick (and eat!) fresh huckleberries in late summer.
- Swim in your choice of lakes and water parks.
- Downhill ski on the kid-friendly slopes at Whitefish Mountain Resort or Blacktail Mountain Ski Area.
- Enjoy the high-flying thrills of a ride on a ski-area chairlift.
- Fly even higher in a colorful hot-air balloon.
- Cross-country ski or snowshoe in the back country for a glimpse of winter's natural wonders.
- Kayak on a lake or gentle river.
- Raft the whitewater on an active river with a professional guide.
- Fish for native trout and other fish.
- Attend a summer "Kids' College" class at Flathead Valley Community College.
- Learn about fascinating plants and wild critters with hands-on experiments at the Glacier Institute.
- Get up close to real, live buffalo (from the safety of your car) at the National Bison Range.
- Attend the Northwest Montana Fair in August, complete with rides, rodeos, farm animals, and unique exhibits.