Whitefish, MT is a scenic mountain resort town at the base of the Whitefish Mountain Resort on Big Mountain, on the shores of Whitefish Lake, and about 25 miles west of Glacier National Park. The many galleries, boutiques and specialty shops of downtown Whitefish are a browser’s delight. This alpine village also has diverse culinary treasures with everything from Western home cooking to fine dining featuring international cuisine. Whitefish is also home to the Great Northern Brewing Co., where visitors can try the locally made brews in the tasting room......moreinfo
For the recreation-minded, Whitefish has it all. Nestled at the base of Whitefish Mountain Resort, Whitefish is minutes from a winter sports paradise with world-class skiing, snow boarding and a host of winter activities. In the summer, the Whitefish Mountain Resort welcomes bikers and hikers and offers scenic gondola rides, outdoor concerts, and the popular Walk in the Treetops. At the summit, visitors can see outstanding views of the mountains of Glacier National Park.
In town, the Glacier Nordic Center features 15 kilometers of machine-groomed trails for both skate-skiing and classic cross-country skiing. The trails wind among rolling hills, lakes, and birch forests, with four kilometers lighted for night skiing. Whitefish Lake, which is seven miles long, welcomes anglers, boaters and paddlers. The sandy shores of City Beach are perfect for a family outing with picnic tables and barbecues under roofed pavilions, boat and swimming docks, a public boat launch and water craft rentals. Whitefish Lake Golf Course, Montana's only 36-hole golf course, provides spectacular mountain and lake views.
In addition to its fine recreation, Whitefish offers abundant cultural experiences. The O'Shaughnessy Cultural Arts Center is the scene of year-round entertainment, including live theater, dance, music and poetry. The Whitefish Theatre Company features year-round live theatre, music and other cultural and community events. The Alpine Theatre Project is Montana's only professional Equity summer theatre, bringing talent and productions fresh from Broadway and other major cities.
Special events keep Whitefish entertained year-round. Don't miss the Whitefish Winter Carnival in February, Whitefish Arts Festival and the Whitefish Mountain Resort Summer Festival in July, Huckleberry Days and Brewfest in August, Taste of Whitefish in September, and the Christmas Stroll and the Christmas Eve Torchlight Parade in December when the town becomes a holiday wonderland of falling snow, fresh greenery, and lights.
Whitefish has a rich timber and railroad heritage, which visitors can learn more about at the Stumptown Historical Society. Located in the Whitefish Railway Depot, this museum is rich in railroad artifacts, photographs and community memorabilia. The Depot building, built in 1927 by the Great Northern Railway and restored in 1990, is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings and is just one of many historic buildings in Whitefish. The town is also home to one of the few buildings in Montana designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. See it on the corner of 4th Street and Central Avenue.
Whitefish still retains the warm, friendly charm of its early railroading days. The town's population of 5,032 and its low-key, friendly atmosphere make visiting this close community a happy and warm experience.
Featured Whitefish related businesses
- Alpine Theatre Project - Founded by three Broadway veterans, David Ackroyd, Betsi Morrison and Luke Walrath, the Alpine...MORE INFO
- Bar W Guest Ranch - Horseback Riding is what the Bar W Guest Ranch on Spencer Lake in Whitefish Montana is all about....MORE INFO
- Bay Point On the Lake - Bay Point on the Lake offers lakeside or hillside condo lodging right on Whitefish Lake, Flathead...MORE INFO
- Best Bet Casino - Full service...MORE INFO
- Big Mountain Lodge - Big Mountain Lodge Whitefish is located in a quiet wooded area yet close to local restaurants and...MORE INFO
- Celebrate Event & Party Rental - ...MORE INFO
- Five Star Rentals & Prop. Mgmt. - Fabulous vacation cabins, homes, lodges, condos and townhouses located on lakes, river, mountains...MORE INFO
- Flathead Living Magazine - Welcome to Flathead Living magazine, the premiere lifestyle and recreation publication of NW...MORE INFO
- Harbor Mountain Properties - Harbor Mountain Properties are located in the Lake and Mountain areas of Whitefish, Montana. We...MORE INFO
- Imagination Station Toys - Classic Toys you loved as a child. Toys that teach and toys that are just plain FUN! Games,...MORE INFO
- Lakeshore Rentals - Choose from our large selection of luxurious, fully furnished condos, cabins or vacation homes on...MORE INFO
- Lakestream Outfitters - ...MORE INFO
- North Forty Resort - The North Forty Resort is set on 40 forested acres and is centrally located in the center of the...MORE INFO
- Northwest Montana Kidstuff Magazine - Our mission is to make your life easier by featuring products, services and businesses that cater...MORE INFO
- Pine Lodge - ...MORE INFO
- Rocky Mountain Transportation - ...MORE INFO