Fly Fishing the Flathead
Experience Montana fly fishing at its finest with Glacier National Park, the Bob Marshall Wilderness and National Forests as breathtaking backdrops. The Flathead River system of northwestern Montana offers memorable fishing opportunities. From sites of easy access to those of remote wilderness, the Flathead waters can provide diverse fishing experiences. Three main branches, the North Fork, Middle Fork and South Fork, eventually come together to form the main stem of the Flathead River that flows into 28-mile-long Flathead lake. Access to the three forks and the main Flathead is readily available in places, but to effectively fish the best of the Flathead, floating is suggested. The hardest thing about fly fishing this part of northwestern Montana is keeping your eye on your fly and not the spectacular scenery.
West slope cutthroat trout are the predominant fish species. These indigenous trout have adapted well to the cold, glacially fed Flathead waters. Because of their cooperative nature, cutthroats are just plain fun to catch. It is easy to become fond of this native species. Rainbow trout numbers have increased dramatically and provide the power and energy this species is known for. Area waters also provide fishing opportunities for grayling, brook trout, lake trout, perch, pike, bass and whitefish. The Flathead system is one of the last strongholds for bull trout. Many an angler, while reeling in a cutthroat, has had a large bull trout come up and take possession of the cutthroat. That’s when the real fun begins.
Because of the clear, cold characteristics of the Flathead waters, insect hatches are not as prolific as those found on other rivers. But specific hatches do occur, and if hit just right they provide a bonus. Green drakes appear in July, and caddis all summer. But generally speaking, Flathead fish are opportunists. This is dry fly country and the bigger the fly the better! Refer to the hatch chart [link to http://lakestream.com] for additional information.
Fly fishing the Flathead is best done with a four-, five- or six-weight fly rod. A standard nine-foot 4X or 5X leader will work fine. Waders are essential before July and after August, but during the heat of the summer, many anglers “wet wade” in shorts and their wading boots. Because of these freestone waters, felt-soled wading boots are highly recommended.
Dry fly enthusiasts will be in heaven during the months of July, August and September. Your best weather is during these months, though it’s always good insurance to bring cool and wet weather gear at any time of the year. Spring run-off can vary, but typically occurs at its heaviest during June. From ice-out until the rivers clear, lake fishing opportunities abound. Because of the sheer number of river miles and the many valley and high country lakes, crowding is not a concern. This is definitely a place to get away from it all.
Fishing in the Flathead National Forest www.fs.fed.us/r1/flathead/fishing_site/fishing/index.htm
We welcome you to the Flathead Valley to experience "Montana Fly Fishing" at its best.
Fishing related businesses
- Flathead Lake Charters - Flathead Lake Charters offers half day, full day and twilight fishing charters - everything...MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Monster Charters - Experience Counts Captain Tim Shattuck "The Mac Killer" has been fishing...MORE INFO
- Flathead Living Magazine - Welcome to Flathead Living magazine, the premiere lifestyle and recreation publication of NW...MORE INFO
- Flathead National Forest - In the heart of the Rocky Mountains, west of the continental divide and just south of the...MORE INFO
- Glacier Guides and Montana Raft Co - For over 30 years we've offered family friendly adventures. Whether it is whitewater rafting,...MORE INFO
- Glacier Raft Company - As the oldest rafting company in Montana, we've specialized in family whitewater adventures on the...MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters -Fishing - Whether it's fishing Flathead Lake, Montana for trophy Lake Trout (mackinaw), touring Flathead Lake...MORE INFO
- Imagination Station Toys - Classic Toys you loved as a child. Toys that teach and toys that are just plain FUN! Games,...MORE INFO
- Mo Fisch Charters - Fishing charters on Flathead Lake and Lake Kookanusa....MORE INFO
- Northern Rockies Outfitters - In addition to guided fly fishing trips, we offer full service float trips, hiking and horseback...MORE INFO
- Sportsman & Ski Haus - The Sportsman & Ski Haus is an employee-owned sporting goods store featuring high-quality brand...MORE INFO
- Swan Mountain Outfitters - Swan Mountain Outfitters is a premier full service horseback based Montana outfitter. We are...MORE INFO
- Wild River Adventures - Since 1985 we have been outfitting whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips on the Middle Fork...MORE INFO
- Wild Trout Adventures - Wild Trout Adventures is your source fishing around Glacier National Park. We are located in...MORE INFO