Glacier National Park
The Flathead Valley is the magnificent gateway to the west entrance of Glacier National Park – a park so naturally beautiful it is known as the “Crown Jewel of the Continent.” Glacier was established largely through the influence of railroad magnate James J. Hill, who envisioned a North American tourist destination, comparable to the Swiss Alps, for travelers on his Great Northern Railway.
Other Glacier Park related pages
Crown of the Continent
The Crown of the Continent is the vast ecosystem stretching from the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex north to British Columbia, Alberta, and Canada’s Waterton Lakes National Park. Combined, Waterton and Glacier form the only trans-boundary “peace park” in North America.
In 1995, UNESCO designated the park a World Heritage Site for its exceptionally rich variety of plant and mammal species as well as prairie, forest, and alpine and glacial features.
The park shares the World Heritage Site honor with the Taj Mahal in India, the Great Wall of China, the Great Barrier Reef of Australia, and the Egyptian Pyramids.
What Glacier National Park has to Offer
Visitors to Glacier National Park enjoy the park’s one million acres of lakes, plunging valleys, and glacier-carved mountains. Glacier is 40 miles wide from east to west, and 50 miles long north to south.
Glacier’s native wildlife includes wolves, grizzly bears, lynx and other natural predators. The park is home to 272 bird species, 63 different mammals, 23 fish species, five types of amphibians and three types of reptiles.
The park has a rich variety of flora as well. There are 1,270 vascular plant varieties, 880 mosses and lichens, 130 non-native plant species and 20 tree species.
Mountains, Lakes and Streams
The highest point in Glacier National Park is Mount Cleveland, at 10,466’ and the lowest is the Middle Fork River near West Glacier at 3,215’. At an elevation of 6,646’, Logan Pass is the highest point in the park accessible by vehicle.
There are more than 175 named mountains in the park, six of them over 10,000' and 43 over 9,000’. The Continental Divide, the mountainous backbone that sends water either to the east or west, meanders 106 miles through the park.
There are 762 lakes in Glacier, only 131 of which have names. They cover 30,022 surface acres, with 392 miles of total shoreline. Lake McDonald is the largest at 6,823 acres, followed by St. Mary Lake at 3,923 acres.
There are 563 streams or rivers in Glacier covering 1,513 stream miles. The longest is McDonald Creek, which stretches 25.8 miles.
Archaeological evidence of use by ancient American Indians indicates that Glacier’s cultural history dates back at least 10,000 years. The first Europeans to explore the area were fur trappers who are believed to have arrived in the late 1700s.
Going-to the-Sun Road
The Going-to-the-Sun Road is a scenic landmark crossing between the west entrance near the Flathead Valley and the east entrance at St. Mary via Logan Pass. The 50-mile paved road was completed in the 1930s. In 1983, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a National Landmark in 1996. The road is narrow, steep and winding, with numerous pullouts for viewing scenery. Travelers should plan to spend 1.5 to 3 hours to complete the trip.
Although the park has 168 miles of road, its greatest natural wonders are best explored on foot. Glacier’s 730 miles of trails offer gentle strolls, day hikes, and overnight back country trips.
Weather and snow determine when Logan Pass opens and closes. Some portions of the Going-to-the-Sun Road are open year-round. Logan Pass opens in mid-June and closes in mid-October.
The Flathead Valley provides an outstanding base camp for exploring Glacier National Park with its large number of accommodations, restaurants, activities, attractions and services geared to the traveler.
For general park information such as maps, Web cams and bear safety information,
check the following park Internet links to help you find answers to your questions:
Web cams: http://www.nps.gov/glac/whatsnew.htm
Environmental Factors: nps.gov/glac/naturescience/environmentalfactors.htm
Trail status and maps: http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/hikingthetrails.htm
Featured Gateway to Glacier National Park related businesses
- Bigfork Summer Playhouse - The Bigfork Summer Playhouse will celebrate its 57th Season of live professional theatre in 2016....MORE INFO
- Buffalo Hill Golf Club - Montana golf can best be experienced by golfing twenty-seven holes at Buffalo Hill. The beauty and...MORE INFO
- Candlewycke Inn B&B - Lodge style B&B secluded on 10 wooded acres just minutes away from Flathead Lake, Glacier...MORE INFO
- Celebrate Event & Party Rental - At Celebrate Event & Party Rentals, every event is a big event. Whether it’s a 1,000...MORE INFO
- Crown of the Continent Guitar Foundation - Play with & learn from the world's greatest guitarists & teachers The Crown of the...MORE INFO
- Dayton Yacht Harbor - Dayton Yacht Harbor is a one hundred slip full-service marina in the small town of Dayton on the...MORE INFO
- Dollar Rent A Car - Dollar Rent A Car has the ability to meet your needs anywhere in the...MORE INFO
- Edgewater RV Resort and Motel - Seasonal RV park, including fully furnished cabins and condo rooms. Motel with 12 rooms lakeside....MORE INFO
- Flathead Beacon - The Flathead Beacon Weekly Newspaper: 13,000 copies are printed & distributed...MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Brewing Co. - The Flathead Lake Brewing Company started in 2004 in Woods Bay, a small community five miles...MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Charters - Flathead Lake Charters offers half day, full day and twilight fishing charters - everything...MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Monster Charters - Experience Counts Captain Tim Shattuck "The Mac Killer" has been fishing...MORE INFO
- Flathead National Forest - In the heart of the Rocky Mountains, west of the continental divide and just south of the...MORE INFO
- Flathead Travel Service - Flathead Travel Service is Montana's largest and most respected Full Service Travel Agency. Travel...MORE INFO
- Glacier Bank - ...MORE INFO
- Glacier Distilling Company - Craft distillery producing an array of whiskeys made from local Montana grains and brandy distilled...MORE INFO
- Glacier Guides and Montana Raft Co - For over 30 years we've offered family friendly adventures. Whether it is whitewater rafting,...MORE INFO
- Glacier Highland Resort - Lodging, provisions and hospitality at the gates of Glacier National Park For over 30 years, the...MORE INFO
- Glacier Park International Airport - Glacier Park International Airport Airline Code: FCA Airport ID: GPI www.iflyglacier.com...MORE INFO
- Glacier Raft Company - As the oldest rafting company in Montana, we've specialized in family whitewater adventures on the...MORE INFO
- Glacier Symphony and Chorale - Northwest Montana's award-winning symphony and chorale perform classical, holiday, and pops...MORE INFO
- Great Northern Whitewater - At Great Northern Whitewater, located just a mile from the West Glacier entrance to Glacier...MORE INFO
- Hockaday Museum of Art - The Hockaday Museum of Art is a fine arts museum, housed in a turn-of-the-century Carnegie Library...MORE INFO
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Kalispell - The hotel offers 30 2-room suites with wet bar, in addition to 81 standard rooms. With an upscale...MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters - Ice Fishing - Ice Fishing: Howe's Fishing/A Able Fishing Charters offers ice fishing in modern times....MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters -Fishing - Whether it's fishing Flathead Lake, Montana for trophy Lake Trout (mackinaw), touring Flathead Lake...MORE INFO
- Imagination Station Toys - Classic Toys you loved as a child. Toys that teach and toys that are just plain FUN! Games,...MORE INFO
- Izaak Walton Inn - Alongside the south side of Glacier National Park, the resort features a variety of summer and...MORE INFO
- Kalispell Regional Healthcare - 310 Sunnyview Lane Kalispell, MT 59901 (406) 752-5111 Located in the heart of Northwestern...MORE INFO
- La Quinta Inn & Suites - Located in Kalispell, the hub of Montana's Flathead Valley, La Quinta Inn & Suites offers the...MORE INFO
- Lakeside Somers Chamber of Commerce - Local business information, travel guides and visitor assistance. Chamber Office Hours: Monday...MORE INFO
- Locations Montana Real Estate - Locations Montana Real Estate offers you the best resources for real estate industry related...MORE INFO
- Many Springs Flathead Lake Resort - Family owned & operated, intimate lakefront extended stay resort with 12 spacious units in...MORE INFO
- Miracle of America Museum - KID FRIENDLY and reasonable.The largest & most diversified in the state. Over 70 antique...MORE INFO
- Mo Fisch Charters - Fishing charters on Flathead Lake and Lake Kookanusa....MORE INFO
- Motel 6 - All Motel 6 locations offer a list of outstanding hotel amenities; Kids Stay Free, Pets Welcome,...MORE INFO
- Mountain Lake Lodge - Spectacular views of Flathead Lake in Northwest Montana, the Bigfork Mountain Lake Lodge Hotel...MORE INFO
- Museum at Central School - The Museum is housed in the historic Central School building, which first opened its doors in...MORE INFO
- Northern Rockies Outfitters - In addition to guided fly fishing trips, we offer full service float trips, hiking and horseback...MORE INFO
- Northwest Montana Wedding & Event Professionals - Hire with confidence! Locate the best caterers, photographers, florists, planners, lodging and...MORE INFO
- Pointer Scenic Cruises - Pointer Scenic Cruises offers licensed and insured custom charter tours on Flathead Lake and to...MORE INFO
- Polson Chamber of Commerce - ...MORE INFO
- Rocky Mountain Bank - Rocky Mountain bank is a full-service community bank. We have always been passionate about...MORE INFO
- Sea Me Paddle Kayaking Tours - Sea Me Paddle offers guided sea kayaking tours along with kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals on...MORE INFO
- Summit Preparatory School - Summit Preparatory School is an accredited private non-profit therapeutic boarding school...MORE INFO
- Swan Mountain Snowmobiling - Swan Mountain Snowmobiling, located in the heart of Glacier Country, provides the best...MORE INFO
- The Outlaw Inn - The Outlaw Inn & Suites feature 230 beautifully appointed rooms of spacious comfort, located...MORE INFO
- Timbers Motel - A 40-room unique motel nestled in the timbers, three blocks from the Bigfork Village. This...MORE INFO
- Village Greens Golf Course - Village Greens Golf Club is home to some of the finest course conditions in the Flathead...MORE INFO
- Western Outdoor - Western Apparel...MORE INFO
- Wild River Adventures - Since 1985 we have been outfitting whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips on the Middle Fork...MORE INFO
- Wild Trout Adventures - Wild Trout Adventures is your source fishing around Glacier National Park. We are located in...MORE INFO
- WildHorse Island Boat Trips - Schedule your WildHorse Island Boat Trips™for a Picnic, Hike or Close up Viewing of Big Horn...MORE INFO
- America's Best Value Inn Port Polson Inn - A quaint hotel on the south end of Flathead lake with amazing...MORE INFO
- Artemis Acres Paint Horse Ranch - Artemis Acres Guest Ranch is a Western lodging and horseback riding facility nestled in the...MORE INFO
- Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge - Flathead Lake Lodge is a historic third generation family run and operated Guest Ranch located in...MORE INFO
- Avis Rent a Car - Avis makes it easier to travel the roads of Montana. We're located at the Glacier International...MORE INFO
- Bigfork Area Chamber of Commerce - Beautiful resort town on Flathead Lake. Recreation for everyone, art galleries, fine dining, live...MORE INFO
- Bigfork Center for the Performing Arts Foundation - The Bigfork Center for the Performing Arts houses the Bigfork Summer Playhouse during the months of...MORE INFO