Things to do in the Flathead Valley Montana
Whether you come to the Flathead Valley for vacation or business, you’re sure to find pleasures on every trip.
Visit nearby Glacier National Park, with 700 miles of hiking trails, roadside vistas, historic lodges, up-close wildlife, lakes perfect for boating and fishing, and convenient campgrounds.
Outdoor recreation of all sorts, such as fishing, hiking, hunting, boating, kayaking, and skiing, are readily available for you.
Shop in the valley’s malls and unique shops.
Lodge at hotels, motels, convention centers, and bed & breakfast facilities.
Experience dining from casual to fine cuisine.
Valley communities offer arts and cultural activities to suit your individual tastes.
23 things to do in the Flathead
Browse this site for hundreds of things to do in Montana’s Flathead Valley.
Here are 23 suggestions to get you started
- Take a scenic drive through Glacier National Park on the Going-to-the-Sun Road, an engineering feat completed in 1932.
- Visit Wild Horse Island on Flathead Lake.
- Pick your own fresh cherries along Flathead Lake.
- Golf one of nine of the area’s magnificent courses.
- Spend the day at the Spa.
- Saddle up for a guided trail ride in Montana's mountains.
- Enjoy Downtown Kalispell and Whitefish shopping and eating establishments.
- Experience whitewater rafting on the North Fork or Middle Fork of the Flathead River.
- Fly fish on the Flathead River.
- Take a hot air balloon ride.
- Go skydiving.
- View the art and learn about the art history of Glacier National Park at the Hockaday Museum of Art’s permanent exhibition, “Crown of the Continent.”
- Go bird-watching in Bigfork.
- Catch a concert by the Glacier Symphony and Chorale or take in a show by the Alpine Theatre Project.
- Hike at Lone Pine State Park, soak in the sweeping valley views, and enjoy the Visitor’s Center.
- Listen to live music at Kalispell’s Depot Park during Picnic in the Park, a summer concert series.
- Learn about the history of Northwest Montana at the Museum at Central School.
- Jump in Flathead Lake on New Year’s Day during the Polar Bear Plunge - or just watch and cheer!
- Visit a local Farmer’s Market.
- During the winter months, tour the backcountry on snowshoes, cross-country skis, or by dog sled.
- Experience the elegance of a bygone era at the Conrad Mansion Museum.
- Snowmobile on 200 miles of groomed alpine trails.
- Take a step back in time with a visit to the Miracle of America Museum in Polson.