Horseback Riding in Northwest Montana
Saddle up for a truly Western Montana experience: Come horseback riding in Montana’s Flathead Valley. Enjoy countless miles of trails that take you meandering through wooded forests, exploring lake shores, and sightseeing along mountain ridges and summits. Horseback riding also provides great photo opportunities for wildlife, wildflowers and panoramic views of the Flathead Valley and majestic Rocky Mountains.
Experienced guides, trained horses and the varied terrain help provide an incredible Montana horseback riding experience. There are horses for all levels of riding experience, from the expert to the youngster to the beginner of any age. The wranglers take great care to match you with a horse that’s appropriate to your ability, making you feel at ease. Most say you'll feel safer on your horse than on most city highways.
A variety of horseback riding programs are available here in Northwest Montana, and some are offered year-round. Programs include private and group lessons, traditional day rides that vary in length, and riding events in both indoor and outdoor arenas.
Create an essential Montana adventure by contacting one of our member horseback riding specialists:
Towering peaks and alpine meadows, wild and scenic rivers, the Hungry Horse Reservoir, lakes and streams… all can be found in the 2.3 million acres of the Flathead National Forest. Bordered by Glacier National Park and three other national forests, Flathead National Forest has 2,600 miles of hiking trails and 200 miles of National Recreation Trails, mostly in designated wilderness areas. Flathead National Forest stretches along the west side of the Continental Divide, running south of the U.S.-Canada border for about 120 miles. Nearly half of the Flathead National Forest is designated wilderness and is home to wolves, peregrine falcons, bald eagles and grizzly bears.
Flathead National Forest’s Jewel Basin is a 15,000-acre mountainous area maintained exclusively for hiking and camping. Motorized vehicles and horses are restricted. Jewel Basin includes 27 lakes and 35 miles of trails, and is located in the Swan Mountain Range east of Kalispell and west of the Hungry Horse Reservoir. Peak season is generally in July and August. High lakes may still have ice and trails can be snow-covered until July. Use of Jewel Basin is limited during the winter.
This popular trail in the Whitefish Mountain Resort Ski Area is named after Danny On, a silvaculturist (applied forest ecologist) with the United States Forest Service who died in a skiing accident on Big Mountain in 1979. A conservationist, he also excelled in nature photography. This self-guided trail gives hikers an opportunity to observe and learn about plants and animals of the high country. The trail system on the mountain offers four different routes to the summit. Information about On’s life is available in the Environmental Education Center at the summit. Snow usually remains on the upper sections of the trail until mid-July.
Horseback Riding related businesses
- Artemis Acres Paint Horse Ranch - Artemis Acres Guest Ranch is a Western lodging and horseback riding facility nestled in the...MORE INFO
- Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge - Flathead Lake Lodge is a historic third generation family run and operated Guest Ranch located in...MORE INFO
- Bar W Guest Ranch - Horseback Riding is what the Bar W Guest Ranch on Spencer Lake in Whitefish Montana is all about....MORE INFO
- Bay Club - Marina Cay Resort has much to offer beyond the natural beauty and adventure of northwest Montana....MORE INFO
- Belton Chalet - ...MORE INFO
- Big Mountain Lodge - Big Mountain Lodge Whitefish is located in a quiet wooded area yet close to local restaurants and...MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Charters - Flathead Lake Charters offers half day, full day and twilight fishing charters � everything you...MORE INFO
- Glacier Guides Inc / Montana Raft Co - Whether it is whitewater rafting, hiking, backpacking, fishing or historical chalets you are into,...MORE INFO
- Great Northern Whitewater - At Great Northern Whitewater, located just a mile from the West Glacier entrance to Glacier...MORE INFO
- Historic Tamarack Lodge & Cabins - The Historic Tamarack Lodge and Cabins is truly a four-season destination and offers--within a...MORE INFO
- Horseback Riding in Glacier Park - Swan Mountain Outfitters is honored to be carrying on a nearly century long tradition of trail...MORE INFO
- Izaak Walton Inn - Alongside the south side of Glacier National Park, the resort features a variety of summer and...MORE INFO
- Many Springs Flathead Lake Resort - Family owned & operated, intimate lakefront extended stay resort with 12 spacious units in Yellow...MORE INFO
- Marina Cay Resort - Marina Cay Resort has much to offer beyond the natural beauty and adventure of northwest Montana....MORE INFO
- Meadow Lake Resort - Visit Montana's premiere Golf and Ski Resort, located just minutes to Big Mountain at Whitefish,...MORE INFO
- Mountain Lake Lodge - Spectacular views of Flathead Lake in Northwest Montana, the Bigfork Mountain Lake Lodge Hotel...MORE INFO
- Pine Lodge - ...MORE INFO
- Swan Mountain Llama Trekking - Swan Mountain Llama Trekking offers vacationers to the Northwest region of Montana an opportunity...MORE INFO